Monday, July 19, 2004

Raghu Rai...

I looked again and again at those ghastly images to understand what Raghu Rai had particularly seen and felt. And each time I stood in front of them I saw something new, interesting and painful. After an immediate appreciation of Raghu’s innate attraction to human life, we got down to discussing a handful of photographs that missed our ovation. But looking closer, giving time for the photographs to seep into us we embarrassed ourselves of our earlier thoughts.
The child with the flawless face being buried was a justified opener, the rubble and a hand over the child’s face made the mood perfect. This picture won the world press photograph of the year. The pictures got more intriguing and although the composition of the each of the photographs was extremely intelligent, the viewers’ mind was cleverly shifted to notice the graveness of the disaster.
I tried to put down some excerpts from an informal discussion that we had with Raghu Rai.
About the night of the disaster:
I was woken up by my editors on that night and by 8am the next day I was in Bhopal. There was death all around me, the roads strewn with dead animals with bloated bellies and stench… there were people dying, especially children. I was afraid about the effect of the poisonous gas on my own body but I had to go on shooting. That was my job. A lot of people ask me how I could be taking pictures when I am a witness to a tragedy unfolding in front me, shouldn’t I be helping them and put down my camera. If I do my job to my outmost satisfaction, giving one hundred percent, I know I have done my part. Everything else will take care of itself.
About using monochromes:
I used black and whites particularly in this situation since the medium diverts all the attention to the drama and the emotions in the picture which can otherwise be diluted by colours. For example if a subject in the picture is wearing a yellow shirt during a burial scene the mood tends to be contradictory…
About styles in photography:
Quite a few people come up to me and say sir, we idolize in you… I say that’s fine if you want to be like me then do so. But look inside you… there is a guru, learn from him. Style is special to each person, and photographers should try to explore and realize their own styles…
About press photography:
The human face is a mirror of the real person behind it… try to capture the seldom seen moods and emotions of politicians that is an indicator of his real character rather than capturing him cutting tapes and lighting lamps…
About digital photography:
We have to embrace new technology and it would be stupid if we stick to classical methods saying they are nostalgic. I am planning to go digital shortly with a Nikon D100.
About equipment:
All I carry is one camera, and one lens which would be either a 24-70 or a 28-70 lens.
His inspiration during his younger days:
Henri Cartier Bresson, who incidentally worked with Magnum too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey..
i came across this page while searching for links on raghu..

just wanted to leave a few comments..

it wasn't raghu's photograph that wont he world press photo of the year, but a similar photograph taken in colour by pablo bartholomew..

also, henri cartier bresson wasn't just member of magnum, but actually one of the founding members.. he met raghu at rgahi's first exhibition in paris when raghi was about 35 years old, took a great liking to him and introduced him to the cream of the french photography circuit.. i'm not sure but i think it was henri who invited raghu to apply for a nominee membership at magnum
regards,
sohrab